Friday 15 January 2016

Cleanliness is Next To Godliness

Cleanliness is next to Godliness or say they say......

I just spent part of my Friday evening cleaning our church building.  

Earlier today I messaged the other couple who were on the rota with us.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about it.

So does this picture.

The reply made me smile at least.

I'm not the only one who gets shirty about it.  It's not uncommon for a not so passive aggressive comment on the church's closed Facebook page after someone's taken their turn.  Usually along the lines of "you bunch of mingers clean up after yourself."  Not those exact words but that's the general gist.  It's a real heart warmer, great for unity.

As I hoovered I worded my own imaginary post. 

Finding this crumpled, used tissue wedged into the corner of a pew didn't help.  
The imaginary post included expletives at that part.  It took all my will power not to leave it sitting there.  Unreasonable of me I know, I mean that tissue could have been needed to wipe away tears of joy or sadness or for reasons more pressing than the need to find a bin.  

I get it, I do.  No-one purposefully makes a mess, its a well-used public building, and as it goes it probably isn't too bad.  I could have a better attitude about this, but somehow when our turn comes round I never do.  I mean I like the idea of it, in theory I'm in, in practice not so much.

So why do it? Trust me I struggled to find a good reason tonight.  I really did try though. 

I reminded myself of the 50th anniversary of the church building in Dundee I'd attended the week before.  I'd had no idea what went into that building.  It was kind of amazing actually.  Built with largely unskilled, unpaid labour, against all odds in difficult circumstances. The first hand stories of personal sacrifice were numerous and inspiring.  There was story after story:
   We heard about the one skilled builder who moved his family over from Canada to live in squalid conditions while he directed the build, and organised the inexperienced and unskilled workers.  
The stories of personal sacrifice of the local members who fed and provided a very modest stipend for the few full-time workers.

The letter of complaint was read that had been sent to the council describing the work going on at all hours which described a "rabble of men, women and children".

Above are the "rabble" putting the tiles on the roof conveyor belt style.
The stories of camaraderie and unity were heart felt and moving.  The video links and messages from the workers assured us that these days were still firmly etched in their memories and were numbered among the happiest of their lives.
And amazingly the building is still standing!

So have we gone soft?  Yeah probably.  Because I still think we should employ a cleaner!

I like happy endings though....so I'll try....it might not be convincing....did I mention I hate cleaning the building?  Well I still do but bear with me and I'll try for that happy ending. 

Look at this boy.  Half hearted? Yup. Effective? Nope.  Smiling? Most of the time.
Here he is supposedly hoovering the upstairs corridor.  I even caught him singing.  Singing?! What's there to sing about?!

Then just before we left we saw these guys.  Now if you think cleaning the toilets of a church on a Friday night is bad you should look at their schedule. 
They are just so blooming wholesome!

Ok so that's it that's all I can come up with.....


It's possibly a good example to my boy.
There are folks who have had a lot more expected of them than me in the past and present and somehow they seem/ed happy about it. 
Hopefully its character building....although that's debatable after this evening.  

So if you've read to the end and are looking for a point to this post I'm not sure I've got one.  Except to reveal my mean spiritedness and say the building is now clean and ready for Sunday after all cleanliness is next to godliness...so they say.  



Sent from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive